PAGES-IAI International Mobility Research Fellowship Program for Latin American and Caribbean early-career scientists on past global changes
PAGES and the Inter-American Institute for Global Change Research (IAI) announce the 2021 International Mobility Research Fellowship Program for Latin American and Caribbean early-career scientists on past global changes.
The program, funded by PAGES, aims to contribute to the development of collaborative research and the promotion of paleoscience networks in Latin America and the Caribbean.
The fellowship supports Latin American and Caribbean early-career scientists pursuing international research experience in paleoscience and is intended to support costs associated with international travel and living expenses while abroad (airfares, visas, health/travel insurance, and subsistence costs for the fellow only).
The fellowships will be awarded for a short duration, typically one to three months. The fellowships will be awarded annually and must be used within 12 months (awardees will have up to 12 months to take up their fellowship once awarded).
Who can apply?
Applications are invited from outstanding early-career scientists from Latin America or Caribbean countries.
The applicants must fulfill the following conditions:
- Early-career scientists – either PhD students in the final stage of completing their thesis, or postdoctoral researchers (usually within five years of completing their degree). We encourage applications from scientists who have not had the opportunity to conduct research abroad.
- Citizens of Latin American or Caribbean countries.
- There are no "target research topics". Rather, the research topics are open – as long as the applicant can show that they are related to PAGES' scope. For example, the topic could be a contribution to one of the PAGES working groups (WG); it could develop (or initiate) the activities of an existing PAGES WG in the region; it could support the participation of the applicant in an existing PAGES WG; or it can be any topic within PAGES' scope.
- Individuals willing to conduct research in different Latin American and Caribbean research institutions, not located in their home country.
Awardees are selected based on the merit and quality of their application, which must include:
a) Completed application form, including:
- Description of proposed research and travel (max. 300 words).
- Research summary (max. 500 words).
- Project timeline and outcomes (up to 3 months duration).
- Description of the fellowship position and duties explaining how this opportunity relates to the goals of the Fellowship Program and PAGES' scope, and the learning outcomes. You may find it helpful to discuss these learning outcomes with your host lab supervisor (max. 500 words).
- Travel budget.
b) Two letters of recommendation (one from the current academic supervisor at the home institution and one from the supervisor at the host institution).
c) Two-page CV outlining the major academic and professional achievements.
How to apply
The preferred language for applications is English, however applications in Spanish and Portuguese will be accepted.
Please read the application guidelines, terms of reference and eligibility criteria (pages 1-3), and fill out the application form (pages 4-9).
Then send your completed application form to: email@example.com with the subject: "Application PAGES-IAI International Mobility Research Fellowship".
The deadline is 30 September 2021 at 23:00 UYT/1 October 2021 02:00 UTC.
Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Before submitting your application, make sure it is complete with all the requested documents.
Successful applicants will be notified no later than 24 November 2021.
After completing the fellowship, fellows must email a final report to IAI (to be published in the Past Global Changes Magazine) in English.
See the IAI website: http://www.iai.int/en/post/detail/IAI-PAGES-Mobility-Fellowships